Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Happy Birthday to Me

I may not want a big fuss made over my birthday, but there are some things I need in order for it to really feel like my birthday.

1.  I want to do something special, or at least something I wouldn't do just any old day. I thought the boys might like the California Academy of Sciences in San Francisco, so that's where we went.  My little scientist Owen had a blast, and that made me happy.  He carried around his map the whole time and let all the new sights sink in-- the aquarium, an animal skull exhibit, a t-rex skeleton, and much more.

2. Presents:  Okay, who doesn't like presents?  And I'm not even talking about things that are expensive or over the top.  Here's what I mean: Owen spent the whole day giving me presents-- flowers, leaves, hugs, kisses, and even the privilege of reading a bedtime book to him, and every time he told me that it was a present for my birthday.  At the end of the day, Owen teased in a singsong-y voice, "I have another birthday present for you!" He gave me a kiss on the butt and said, "Okay, that's enough presents.  That's the last one."  Good enough for me :)

3. Cake:  I love cake.  It might even be my favorite food.  That being said, we've had sooo much birthday cake from the various birthdays during the last month that I'm unusually tired of cake.  Now Yogurtland, that's another story...

So those are the three things that make me a happy birthday girl.  It's not as exciting as it was when I was younger, especially when getting older begins to seem less appealing (now that I'm 36, Jeremy jokes that he'll trade me in for two 18-year-olds!) but I still like having a special day that's all mine.

IMG_8578
Owen giving Logan a kiss on the forehead in the Steinhart Aquarium

IMG_8573
Owen waving to the scuba diver who was cleaning the tank


IMG_8565
Owen with a rattlesnake, one of his favorite animals, thanks to an episode of Reading Rainbow that is in heavy rotation at our house

IMG_8591
Logan unleashed- finally out of the stroller and free to roam (and looking like something from a Dr. Seuss book with the picture of the plant that looks like it's growing out of his head)

IMG_8593
Logan, curious about that mastodon tusk that Owen is checking out (and as always, he HAS to do whatever Owen is doing)

IMG_8597
The boys kind of missed the point of this interactive game, which was not supposed to involve crushing bugs

IMG_8600
Skulls exhibit

IMG_8604
A huge wall of sea lion skulls

IMG_8606
Owen, still excited from the trip, reading his map and brochure

1 comment:

  1. Awww, Diana, I'm so glad your Birthday was a wonderful one with your kids and your husband! I'm also very glad you've shared these great pictures of the boys!! Thanks! Auntie Gay

    ReplyDelete